PDA

View Full Version : Paper For Toner Transfer

gassy
01-17-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm attempting a DIY pcb for the first time. Everything I've read here is to use Staple's Photo Gloss for the job. I couldn't find the SKU#mentioned (471861), but they did have #648181 Photo Basic Gloss Paper. Put the photo face down on the copper and applied the heated iron, but the photo paper stuck (melted) to the iron and very little toner made it to the copper. How did I mess this up? In theory, it seemed pretty easy.

g2ktcf
01-17-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm attempting a DIY pcb for the first time. Everything I've read here is to use Staple's Photo Gloss for the job. I couldn't find the SKU#mentioned (471861), but they did have #648181 Photo Basic Gloss Paper. Put the photo face down on the copper and applied the heated iron, but the photo paper stuck (melted) to the iron and very little toner made it to the copper. How did I mess this up? In theory, it seemed pretty easy.

hmmm....that sounds correct...is paper in a red box? I do not see how the paper could melt to the iron though. The backside is JUST paper...nothing really melt-able.

gassy
01-17-2010, 08:37 PM
That's what I thought. The back of the paper felt like plastic after I pulled it off the iron.

WildWillie
01-17-2010, 09:10 PM
I, too, went through this very predicament. It appears that Staples has changed the composition of that particular paper. I had so much of the plastic stuck to the iron, I had to toss the darn thing!

kychristmas
01-17-2010, 09:30 PM
I had luck with Glossy Brochure Paper. Someone recently posted about success with the same type of paper. It's much cheaper than photo paper.

gassy
01-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Just finished getting the wife's iron cleaned up, dodged a bullet on that one. Glossy brochure paper, do I get this at an office store?

dirknerkle
01-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Whatever glossy paper you get, make sure it's for LASER printers and not ink jets. Somebody had good luck with HP Prersentation Paper. It's a 34lb laser paper that costs about $13 for 30 sheets.

gassy
01-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Just curious, what's the difference between Laser and ink jet paper. The "red box" I was advised to get at Staple's is "ink jet compatible".

dirknerkle
01-18-2010, 01:16 AM
Just curious, what's the difference between Laser and ink jet paper. The "red box" I was advised to get at Staple's is "ink jet compatible".

Ink jet paper is made so the ink soaks in but not very far, and dries quickly. It's often plasticized in some capacity -- for example, photo papers that have a glossy surface usually have a plastic back to keep the ink from bleeding through. As such, it can't handle high temperatures.

Laser paper can handle the high temperatures of the fuser, which melts the toner onto the surface of the paper. When you use a gloss paper, it doesn't stick quite as well because it's not quite as porous. Therefore, a glossy laser paper will transfer most of the toner to the copper when heated from the back.

Sharkey
01-18-2010, 01:24 AM
I use this paper from staples, it's a double sided gloss paper for color laser printers.

it works GREAT! It mimics high-quality magazine paper.

You can use it in a black printer too.

eswets
01-18-2010, 08:17 PM
After $20 later I learned the photo basic paper didn't work. I got Color laser photo supreme gloss paper form staples and that worked great. 651611 is the number.

51fordf2
01-18-2010, 08:36 PM
The Staples paper does NOT work any more. EDIT: The original paper all the websites recommend. They changed it, to make it waterproof, and ended it's use for laser printer transfer. If you have some that works, it is an older box. Otherwise, it WILL gum up the iron, and be VERY difficult to use on the copper clad.

A link that explains it: LINK (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8018&highlight=etch)

Here's a board I did, with the magazine paper:

http://crbest.com/ssr/traces01.jpg

I use regular magazine paper - the slick stuff. If you can find a sheet without color pictures, either side, it works the best, as for some reason, the color ink likes to transfer a bit. Specifically, I use pages from Model Aviation magazines, the back pages that have the want ads, which are just text, usually...

Your mileage may vary...

kychristmas
01-18-2010, 08:43 PM
This post discusses the Brochure/Presentation Paper.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10291&highlight=toner+transfer