PDA

View Full Version : Expansion

Warlock
01-10-2010, 04:52 AM
How about we start expanding,meaning we add more headings like porta flood,mighty mini,more dmx headings etc....We now have more gear all over the place and not many places to find it so I think more headings for better organization would be a great addition..

Macrosill
01-10-2010, 10:06 AM
By "headings" I am assuming you mean forums and sub-forums. We need to be careful with how many forums and sub-forums we have. If you have too many then the board index becomes to cluttered and it gets very difficult to find a single forum out of the hundred in the index. Just take a look at Planet Christmas and find me the forum specificly for Judy Pancoast's music. http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php

If there is a specific forum or sub-forum you feel we may need I will be happy to consider it. However it must be a large enough active topic to warrant its own forum or sub-forum. I have learned from experience there is nothing worse than a board being cluttered with too many small non-active forums. And once a forum or sub-forum is created, even of not used much, it is difficult to remove. not difficult in a administrative sense, it only requires a few clicks, but I am referring to a logistical dilemma. Where do you put the threads? Do they all fit in a single other forum or do they need to be moved individually? How does the person who wanted the forum now fell that it was removed? Usually there is some animosity there. How will people find the threads that used to be there? And the questions go on and on.

So give me a specific forum or sub-forum topic and why it is warranted and I will consider it.

This goes for any active member of the board. If you feel something needs to be added or changed please let me know. I do not know what works best for all of you unless you tell me.

somtng4u2c
01-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Also how about adding the date to each post so you would know how old a post is,ive looked at post where some one was selling stuff and they said they sold that item 1 year ago or so .
And another thought why not have a state map where each member must put in there state (required)

Warlock
01-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Hi Brian...What I meant was more along the lines of expanding a few areas
..Alot of us are getting into different things with leds...So making a led area would make logical sense...I for one have had a hard time finding certain info and had to ask more then once to try and find it..Kinda a pain to the rest of the group when this keeps happening more then once per day etc...I mean our DMX heading should be broken up a bit more as more and more of us are trying our hands at programming etc...No area there for those questions and when you do place something in a place where you think it fits it gets moved cause someone with a swelled head thinks it belongs someplace else...Not entirely fair to say the least...There are lots of other places where this could be useful as the posts on these subjects are getting rather long and go on for awhile..So it would make sense to do something with the headings for these key areas as the forum changes..Also adding a search functiopn would be great if at all possible...Might make the heading issue disappear all together really..

Greg in Canby
01-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Also how about adding the date to each post so you would know how old a post is,

I think that's in the upper left, at least on my machine XP using Firefox. Maybe it's a setting you have to turn on??

budude
01-10-2010, 11:51 AM
And another thought why not have a state map where each member must put in there state (required)

There is a map now in the header "Member Map" but a replacement is being discussed here: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10235

wrt to the OP - I think FM transmitters (and associated bits like RDS) probably get enough traffic to warrant their own section...

Jrd
01-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Also adding a search functiopn would be great if at all possible...Might make the heading issue disappear all together really.

Actually there is a search (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/search.php) function, it is on the user bar two links to the left of 'Log Out' right under 'Your Notifications'.

somtng4u2c
01-10-2010, 04:33 PM
i think that's in the upper left, at least on my machine xp using firefox. Maybe it's a setting you have to turn on??

duh!!!!!!!!!!! My bad

lboucher
01-10-2010, 07:25 PM
One suggestion i have is.
All finished coop threads should be moved to a sub group of "Closed COOP"
All open should be in a group called 'Open COOP"

bobkeyes
01-10-2010, 08:07 PM
You know, it is kind of nice to be able to click on "arches" and see everything posted about arches.

I have a hard time with the search. It seems I never have much luck with it.

RavingLunatic
01-10-2010, 09:55 PM
You know, it is kind of nice to be able to click on "arches" and see everything posted about arches.

Problem with that is you are assuming that everyone will put things in the same place as you expect them to. Using your "arches" as an example, some will post there and others will post in the Vixen forums if asking about arch sequencing and some might even post in DMX if they are looking for a DMX controller to control arches. And of course, as almost always happens here at DIYC, once a thread gets started there is no guarantee that it will stay on topic and not veer off into a discussion on building arches even tho the thread is in Vixen\Sequencing forum.

I don't think creating new forums would magically make all the information easier to find. Besides it would also be a possible nightmare for Brian with moving posts to new forums (and dealing with the anger from those who had them bookmarked).

The best thing is to use the search function and also to utilize the Tags area for each thread to make it easier for the search function to find it.

Just an opinion....

bobkeyes
01-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Oh, I understand the problems and I'm not saying it should be done. I'm only saying that it is "nice" the other way.

As a newbie here I still have trouble with the search. For instance, I was looking for the post on a Ren 12. I know now that it existed, but I never did find it.

I would not want Brian's job and I think that it should be made as easy for him as possible. When I can't find something I always ask and usually someone has the answer.

deplanche
01-11-2010, 08:48 AM
I think what you guys are asking for is what the "tags" are used for. At the bottom of the screen, there is a list of tags for the current thread or you can click on the word tages to see all the tags, which can simplify your search. This work great... when a thread is tagged. But I find if I like a thread, and know i will want to look it up again, I add the tag, so that I, or anyone else, can find it easily in the future. Because as RL said, just because a topic starts in one place, doesn't mean that is what is going to be discussed in that entire thread.

omzig
01-11-2010, 10:09 AM
I have to agree with Brian and RL. Too many sub-forums and you end up with situations where a topic will be appropriate for more than one forum. It makes it hard to decide which to use and harder for someone else to find it. Yes...PC is a perfect example of over-organization.

I will say that a transmitter forum might not be a bad idea. It is one piece of hardware that almost everyone uses. There are many threads on the topic. Most, but not all, are in "Other Hardware." I think of "Other Hardware" as being for other controllers because all of the other forums in the "Hardware" section are controller related.

While were on the topic...I realize that this is minor, but I think that "Other Hardware" should be at the bottom of the "Hardware" section (or maybe just above "Development"). Its description is "Anything that doesn't fit in the above"

There is some very useful info in the "Reference Depot," but it seems like it may fit better in the "Learning Center" than the "DIY Store." Again this is minor but if you're already in there tweaking the forum's organization...

Tags are nice, but the problem with them is that not everybody adds them to their posts. I have to admit that I am guilty of this sometimes too. It's easy to forget. Just for everyone's info...anyone can edit the tags for any thread. So if you see one that doesn't have tags or is missing some that would be appropriate, you can add them.

For the most part, I think that the forum is organized very well.

Warlock
01-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Case in point transmitters would be great to have it's own heading,looking at the sequences section is another fine example of things that do not belong...As the sub heading states it is for tips and tricks with regards to sequencing not asking for sequences...DMX is another one that is misguided in it's subheading.SOme additions need to be made but I think it would be more in the subheadings (meaning what the heading expands into)..Vixen should have the sequences requests not the sequences section itself,for that matter the entire heading should be apart of the Vixen main heading...If your asking for a sequence then your asking about Vixen right ??? Not about light show or another software program....We are refering to Vixen so that would be a subheading under that.Problems with Vixen doing whatever (ledtriks) could have it's own etc...Kinda cleans it up instead of having programming issues listed under the ledtriks area..Programming belongs to a Vixen thread as we are using that to program....I hope these examples illustrate my point of how things have become all over the place and harder for people to find once we catch up (so to speak)

dirknerkle
01-11-2010, 05:07 PM
With nearly 100,000 postings, the scope of the data here truly is becomming an indexing issue. Part of the problem lies with the non-use of tags, (Like Don, I don't use them either -- shame on me...) but another problem lies in how a topic is considered, which is exactly what RL noted.

I wish I had a solution -- dopes like me need to do a better job categorizing things, but I think the base problem could be in the original topic of the thread and how it seems to evolve into something else as multiple members chime in and add their comments. Often, problem-related topics start with a postulate the points the finger at one thing but in the end, it could be something entire different. So it becomes a red-herring thread that takes everybody away from the main issues at hand.

Don't know how to solve that one, but I think the idea of sub-forums that highlight specific pieces of hardware that most (if not all) of us use is a good idea; the transmitter topic is one example where "everything related to transmitters/antennas/audio" might be found.

jnealand
01-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Let's not become another PC. To much stuff on there that is not display related in my opinion. I don't hang around there as much as I used to due to all the stuff I consider fluff, like Christmas Cooking or the I'm Sorry thread. I'm looking for education and information on building a better display.

Matt_Edwards
01-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Comments about limiting the expansion are probably wise, but I would offer two observations:

Hardware seems to refer to controllers first and every thing else second.
TAGS are great, I just wish I was start enough to use them too.

Controller centric is probably where the core development has been but I suspect they are almost commoditised now.
However what is missing is actual light fixture design, and I mean more that just wire frames. Personally I think the hardware needs a LED / Incandescent distinction. they are completely different and should the treated differently. My PortaFloods are an example that would fit very comfortably in the LED section for FIXTURES

Lastly Tags - the best thing I have read today it ANYONE can edit the Tags on ANY thread. that is way cool.

cenote
01-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Just getting ready to post when I saw this thread. I know I am quiet around here, but have been looking a lot lately too on LEDs. I think a general heading under Hardware may be a good idea for LED's. Seems like I need to dig pretty hard sometimes in searches to find what I am looking for.

Just my 1 cent worth

Chuck N

Warlock
01-19-2010, 10:32 PM
I wish I had a solution -- dopes like me need to do a better job categorizing things, but I think the base problem could be in the original topic of the thread and how it seems to evolve into something else as multiple members chime in and add their comments. Often, problem-related topics start with a postulate the points the finger at one thing but in the end, it could be something entire different. So it becomes a red-herring thread that takes everybody away from the main issues at hand.

Don't know how to solve that one, but I think the idea of sub-forums that highlight specific pieces of hardware that most (if not all) of us use is a good idea; the transmitter topic is one example where "everything related to transmitters/antennas/audio" might be found.[/QUOTE]

I agree with both parts of this but the idea would be to add a heading for hardware issues,led issues,etc...Led heading in the main area would be a good thing as people are using leds with issues more and more...Hardware issues can be covered in the hardware section,just a sub heading so someone having an issue with DMX pieces can post in the DMX section and not in developement where it doesn't belong cause for my example it was a programing issue..How that relates to development is beyond me but anywqay it is another example of issues with things not going in the correct spot for the right reference..It's not an easy job to do I will also agree on this as well..