PDA

View Full Version : Recent victim of the blinky bug virus

telletran
01-09-2010, 03:49 AM
Hi all. After seeing a light show in my area http://newtonlights.com/ and then looking at my static light display, I realized i need to upgrade. I need at least 128 channels to make my display a nice one. I have a computer that need a holiday job and i dont mind making boards from scratch. I think the olsen 595 would fit within my idea of what i want to do. I was hoping to find a source for some. Also, i need a source of the SSR boards too. So basically, I need someone to actually point out what i need and where to get it. lol
I would appreciate any help that you could give me.

budude
01-09-2010, 04:05 AM
Hey telletran - Welcome to DIYC!

If you are set on the 595 I believe the admin here, Macrosill (Brian) might still have some boards for sale - see this thread: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3340 starting on page 3. Just PM him for details - he also posted the BOM (parts list) that you can import into the mouser.com's BOM tool and it will do all the selection/math for you.

I would suggest that you look through the HW section in the Wiki first however to be sure that's what you want. There are the newer Renard series including the Ren 8/16/24 SS series from Wayne J (boards are available from him) and the Ren24 from fkostyun (Frank).

Feel free to ask any questions you may have - I'm sure someone will answer you right away.

Welcome!
Brian

zaker
01-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Sorry to say, you're done for now. This is an addiction no one has found a cure for, actually, nobody has looked for a cure.. :)

As budude said, look through the hardware in the Wiki, get an idea what's available. Here's a quick rundown:

595/Grinch - on/off controllers, can be made to dim with additional hardware, I have etched multiple 595 boards, not too bad. LOTS of drilling. Exernal SSR's

Renard - Dimming capability, a variety of channel sizes, with on-board and external SSR's.

Firegod & Helix boards, dimming capability, Helix can be standalone once programmed.

I may have missed something, this is an ever changing place with new designs popping up.

All of these boards are available ready to add parts and solder, there is a link 'somewhere' I can't find of who has what boards available.

wjohn, fkostyun, waynej, and macrosil (DIYC admin) all have various boards available.

All I can suggest is read, ask questions, and read some more. LOTS of info/help here.

I started with a home-etched 595, wanted dimming and moved to a Renard64, and added Renard24's for more channels.

Welcome aboard, get a move on, it's January and you need to get planning for Christmas 2010!!

dynatech
01-25-2010, 10:20 AM
I ordered 3 - 595 boards this weekend but now you guys have me thinking that may be to old school. I dont want to get in over my head and have to give up my new blinking hobby.

Aurbo99
01-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Sorry to say, you're done for now. This is an addiction no one has found a cure for, actually, nobody has looked for a cure.. :)

Whats this nonsense about a cure? a cure for what?

I think you need to recognize a problem before you can consider a cure...

I have no problem..well, one... I dont have enough lights! :rolleyes:

And there IS a cure for that... "1-888, Hellow Paul, I need more lights!"

pete
01-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Problems?
Lack of Lights, Channels, Extension cords, Lights, Time, Money, Lights, etc.........

Dd I miss anything?

dirknerkle
01-26-2010, 01:34 PM
I ordered 3 - 595 boards this weekend but now you guys have me thinking that may be to old school. I dont want to get in over my head and have to give up my new blinking hobby.

Your 595's are a good investment and you absolutely shold not give up on them. I have 4 of them and they're just great workhorses. They can work in their native "on/off only, no-dimming" mode, or with the addition of a Ren-C board (about $25 to build) they become "Renard" boards will full dimming capability.

As far as "old school" goes, remember that there are essentially only two states of a light: either on or off. All the "newest" lighting tools merely use different mechanisms for managing this binary state or compact their electronics into smaller packages. And smaller isn't always better.

Consider the '57 Chevy. How many people wouldn't love to have one sitting in the driveway right now? ;)

-dave

daviddth
02-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Consider the '57 Chevy. How many people wouldn't love to have one sitting in the driveway right now? ;)

Pass thanks - I love my airbags, 6 stack MP3 CD player, satnav, 6 speed auto box with sequential manual shift. While they were great cars in their day, I'll pass on one now. I have had my share of older cars in the past :cool:

Then again on the same topic I'm also scrapping my stripboard 595's this year and replacing them with ren 64 XB's. It's not the 595's that are an issue, but they way the boards and stripboard SSR's were built that will make them almost impossible to strip down and then rebuild them into a new enclosure.

The attached pic actually shows one of the first ever 595's in the hands of Peter Olsen, and yeah the other guy is me.

A Marchini
02-04-2010, 08:24 PM
The attached pic actually shows one of the first ever 595's in the hands of Peter Olsen, and yeah the other guy is me.

Cool, you got to meet THE Peter Olsen... I always admired the two videos of his show at www.computerchristmas.com.
Inspiration incarnate.

Tony M.

daviddth
02-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Tony, besides the meeting, there was one other really cool thing I brought back with me - The star from the top of his tree! I used it on the top of my megatree in 2009, and it will be used there again in 2010. I have considered restringing the star with LED ropelight, but dont know if that will "ruin" it as a historical piece of hardware.

The lights, wires and clips are showing some reasonable degredation due to temperature and UV damage, so they will probably only last 1 more season before needing to be replaced anyway. A coat of paint and replacement of the bulbs with LED's should still be ok I think.