PDA

View Full Version : Icicle lights

mkess
01-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Can I take a string of 150 icicle lights and cut then into 3 sections to chase down the house? I thought I saw a post somewhere and can't seem to find it.

Reddy_Kilowatt
01-05-2010, 09:45 PM
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/dynamics/showentry.php?e=34&catid=17

I had my roof line chopped into 36 segments and it was a real hoot! :cool:

-Craig

stanward
01-12-2010, 02:56 AM
That's nice to have that chase sequence. Hmm.... that would be a lot of work for me to do such a modification. But I got 11 months till showtime!

dirknerkle
01-12-2010, 11:44 AM
That's nice to have that chase sequence. Hmm.... that would be a lot of work for me to do such a modification. But I got 11 months till showtime!

11 months isn't enough time. We're already behind! :mrgreen:

RobertL
01-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but is there another use for icicle lights besides hanging them from the roof? I was looking for some different ideas.

Thanks!

djulien
01-12-2010, 12:34 PM
is there another use for icicle lights besides hanging them from the roof? I was looking for some different ideas.

Depending on what the "theme" of your show is, perhaps one of these ideas ...

Using nature as a pattern, anywhere there is a non-moving surface that can catch rain or melted snow and then freeze as it drips off - for example, the edges of planters, window ledges, or even props or figures of inanimate objects.

The main visual feature of icicle lights seems to be that they are twisted together into many shorter sections that hang off of longer central wires, so anywhere that you need a branch-like appearance would be appropriate. For example, if you wanted some smaller trees you could mount the icicles "upside down" so that the icicles look like branches, or you might be able to wad up the central wire and then use the icicles to look like snowflake arms.

For a Hallowe'en display, you could probably hang an icicle vertically instead of horizontally, and flash it quickly on and off to resemble lightning, then use thunder and lightning in your MP3 (and maybe also a wolf howl). You could fasten the icicle to a stiff wire and then bend it into an irregular shape to make it look more like a lightning bolt in the sky.

don

budude
01-12-2010, 03:03 PM
For a Hallowe'en display, you could probably hang an icicle vertically instead of horizontally, and flash it quickly on and off to resemble lightning, then use thunder and lightning in your MP3 (and maybe also a wolf howl). You could fasten the icicle to a stiff wire and then bend it into an irregular shape to make it look more like a lightning bolt in the sky.

That is a great idea! My sister gave me a box of icicle lights because she's aware of my "addiction" - but - to be honest - I really don't like them for Christmas lights - just me I guess... But - this may provide a home for them!

dirknerkle
01-12-2010, 03:12 PM
That is a great idea! My sister gave me a box of icicle lights because she's aware of my "addiction" - but - to be honest - I really don't like them for Christmas lights - just me I guess... But - this may provide a home for them!

I've been looking at a string of icicle lights trying to figure out how they're constructed, and thinking about converting it in some other way. Not sure exactly where I'm going with this (obviously...) but there are one heckuvalotta lights on one of those things and I figure there must be some way to do something else with them...

oldcqr
01-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I've always had a 4 color display (Green/Red/Blue/White). For the first couple of years, the white on my gutters were icicles (so it was Green/Red/Blue/Ice)... One year I had an extra channel and decided to make the gutters 5 channels: Green, Red, Blue, White, Ice.

At first I thought it was a waste of a channel. I quickly discovered the benifits, and I've never looked back.

When I want that 'winter' look, I use the icicles. When I want the 'clean' look, I go with just the white. White with the icicles make them look 'fuller', while a color mixed with the icicles gives them a 'that looks weird' quality (you know, like those blue reflectors gear heads attach to their tail lights that gives them that 'purple' cast).

I never thought about hacking them up and chasing them tho... That could be fun!

stanward
01-12-2010, 11:22 PM
djulien, you have a great sense of imagination!!!!!!!

djulien
01-12-2010, 11:49 PM
djulien, you have a great sense of imagination!!!!!!!

Thanks! - not always a good thing, though.

don

Reddy_Kilowatt
01-13-2010, 01:39 AM
I've always had a 4 color display (Green/Red/Blue/White). For the first couple of years, the white on my gutters were icicles (so it was Green/Red/Blue/Ice)... One year I had an extra channel and decided to make the gutters 5 channels: Green, Red, Blue, White, Ice.

At first I thought it was a waste of a channel. I quickly discovered the benifits, and I've never looked back.

When I want that 'winter' look, I use the icicles. When I want the 'clean' look, I go with just the white. White with the icicles make them look 'fuller', while a color mixed with the icicles gives them a 'that looks weird' quality (you know, like those blue reflectors gear heads attach to their tail lights that gives them that 'purple' cast).

I never thought about hacking them up and chasing them tho... That could be fun!

Thats exactly what I did in the past. It gives a little more variety to the scene. :)

I use 8 channels of C9's and it was always a pain to get them all cliped to the gutters and looking straight with Icicles on top of it all. So this year, I took an idea from PC for drlilling holes in a piece of vinyl siding J-channel (http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showpost.php?p=372988&postcount=4) to mount the C9's. I also drilled small holes in the front and zip tied the icicles to it.

I wasn't to thrilled about choping up a perfectly good set of icicle lights either, but I had a couple of spare Ren-24's and a few spools of left over spt-1. The J-channel had plenty of room for extra wires. I spliced, coated and heat-shrinked the Icicle strings neutrals together. The hot side of each segment went through another hole in the J-channel and spliced to one of the spt-1's conductors on the inside of the J-channel.

Take down and storage could be a problem. If it ever thaws out, the current plan is to lay a stick of !/2" EMT on top of the 12' section to stiffen it up, then shrink wrap the mess together. At least thats the plan.... :p

The ChaseCicles were a last minute addition to my display and I didn't have much time to play around sequencing them, but the results were amazing!

You could do super smooth chases or do multi-pattern shimmers or even a mirrored waveform! I'm sure there's more...

People thought it was so cool to see something so ordinary, behave in a new and unexpected way!

Thanks Don!

-Craig

Warlock
01-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Another way to hang these icicle lights is either
a: use sections of pvc pipe and fit them inside the eves or
b: use the fast track system from world class christmas they install with a screw driver and your done..Supposed to install in minutes.
Site is listed below.
http://www.worldclasschristmas.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1399

stanward
01-14-2010, 01:45 AM
Wow, that was a quick and easy way to hang the lights!

Keep those suggestions coming!

dirknerkle
01-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Another way to hang these icicle lights is either
a: use sections of pvc pipe and fit them inside the eves or
b: use the fast track system from world class christmas they install with a screw driver and your done..Supposed to install in minutes.
Site is listed below.
http://www.worldclasschristmas.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1399

Clever idea. A similar idea would be to use a typical drapery traverse rod to essentially do the same thing.

bmcgeeny
01-14-2010, 10:06 PM
I've been looking at a string of icicle lights trying to figure out how they're constructed, and thinking about converting it in some other way. Not sure exactly where I'm going with this (obviously...) but there are one heckuvalotta lights on one of those things and I figure there must be some way to do something else with them...

Icicle lights are built just like any other lights. Series/Parallel in circuts of either 35 or 50.

The only thing they do is save some wire on the run. Look at them closely. On each circut of 50, one wire runs straight across, the other wire with the lights on it hangs down every six inches or so. The hot side with the bulbs goes down and then back up.

Tons of stuff you can do with them. They work great for arches. Cut the wire without the bulbs, wrape the bulbs around the PVC and then splice the wire without bulbs back together shortened. Now you only have one wire instead of two wrapped around the pipe.

I also use them for stars and snowflakes. Cut the bare wire out, zip tie the bulbs to a small wire frame designed for 50 bulbs, and the wire with the bulbs ends up riight back where you started.

Good Will or Salvation Army will have thousands of these. They will sell cheap.

I have advertized on Craigs list for lights people are throwing away and gotton garbage bags full of them. Most are white Icicle lights. I have pails full of non working ones. Give you something to do during Andy Griffen reruns.

dirknerkle
01-15-2010, 02:09 AM
Icicle lights are built just like any other lights. Series/Parallel in circuts of either 35 or 50.

I have advertized on Craigs list for lights people are throwing away and gotton garbage bags full of them. Most are white Icicle lights. I have pails full of non working ones. Give you something to do during Andy Griffen reruns.

Good stuff, bmc! Thanks. I've got a bag full of them sitting here -- the most difficult part so far is trying to untangle the darned things! Geez, what a mess!

Maybe it's easier if you're watching those reruns...:rolleyes:

stanward
01-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Andy Griffen! You're showing your age!

dirknerkle
01-16-2010, 12:43 AM
Andy Griffen! You're showing your age!

HAH! My age shows in many ways... I've got dunlaps disease, too.

My tummy dun laps over my belt!