PDA

View Full Version : File Library - PCB Files

dirknerkle
01-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Since G2KTCF's upload of Sean Bowf's Olsen 595 layout last June, there have been several more PCB schematics and tracing/layouts uploaded for others to view and use. Looking at the number of "hits" on them, it's pretty clear that there is more than a passing interest in having such files available.

I'm sure that many others have devised PCB or wired perfboards to solve various connection or other issues in their displays. In some cases these may have been by taking an existing layout and making improvements, or in other cases, just taking an idea and making a completely different layout of their own design. This could easily happen in the case of breakout boards. I encourage everyone who's done this to consider placing your PCB file(s) in the file library so that others may benefit.

I myself have put a number of things there just because if they helped me do my display, maybe they would help others. An example is the Cat5 Expander Hub -- essentially a non-powered hub. I've used this to connect two cat5 cables together (a sort of plug-in splice) as well as for connecting multiple SSRs to the same set of 4 channels and thereby, eliminating stringing another cat5 cable from a main controller.

You never know who you'll help by uploading your file but rest assured, the DIYC-er who's looking to solve a problem will be very thankful if your solution helps him/her out.

Sharkey
01-05-2010, 04:24 PM
I just saw the Cat5 Expander Hub! I was really thinking about how to eliminate wires the other day! Thank you :)

As for me, I'm just learning how to make my own PCB's and making my own traces.
Maybe soon, you'll see stuff from me, because I'm the type of person that revises and makes things better all the time.

dirknerkle
01-30-2012, 02:39 PM
I've had numerous requests for several of my PCB layouts, and rather than post them individually here where they'll likely get lost, I've put them over in the file library at www.diychristmas.org. You'll find a link to the File Library in the menu of the main page. Enjoy....

CaptKirk
01-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Mr. Nerkle,

Are you up to posting any of the other OPEN PCB layouts there as well? Until DIYC gets back up to full strength, it would sure make sense to have that stuff stored where we can access it!!! A BACKUP on another site makes good sense to me!!

THX.

dirknerkle
01-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Mr. Nerkle,

Are you up to posting any of the other OPEN PCB layouts there as well? Until DIYC gets back up to full strength, it would sure make sense to have that stuff stored where we can access it!!! A BACKUP on another site makes good sense to me!!

THX.

I completely agree with you that it would be nice to have them available. That's why I'm putting what I have in the file library over there since the File Library here at DIYC is kaput.

There were only a few other files in the Copper section of the File Library and unfortunately, I don't have copies of any of them. If I had them, I'd put them up. There were also many, many other files that were posted inside threads which have also been lost -- and I do not have copies of any of them, either.

There were quite a few other files in other parts of the file library that may also have been lost, but I have no knowledge of what they were nor what happened to them.

-dave

kychristmas
01-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Since I was a leach when I first joined, I probably have most of them. I'll organize what I have and send them to you? Of course, half of my own file library is "DIGWIDG"

I completely agree with you that it would be nice to have them available. That's why I'm putting what I have in the file library over there since the File Library here at DIYC is kaput.

There were only a few other files in the Copper section of the File Library and unfortunately, I don't have copies of any of them. If I had them, I'd put them up. There were also many, many other files that were posted inside threads which have also been lost -- and I do not have copies of any of them, either.

There were quite a few other files in other parts of the file library that may also have been lost, but I have no knowledge of what they were nor what happened to them.

-dave

djulien
01-30-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm sure that many others have devised PCB or wired perfboards to solve various connection or other issues in their displays. In some cases these may have been by taking an existing layout and making improvements, or in other cases, just taking an idea and making a completely different layout of their own design. This could easily happen in the case of breakout boards. I encourage everyone who's done this to consider placing your PCB file(s) in the file library so that others may benefit.

I think this would be very useful.

For myself, I've got a growing "library" of personal PCBs but they tend to be rather non-standard in terms of layout and/or functionality so they I've assumed they would not be of that much interest. Is there some criteria to use to decide which one(s) to upload, or do you just want everything in there? My concern is that if some special-purpose ones get mixed in with the more generally useful ones, someone might pick the wrong one to work with.

Also, should there be any categorization of PCBs? for example, by functional area, or maybe also by format (Gerber vs. ExpressPCB vs. other) - or do you only want Gerber PCB layouts?

I guess along with that, how do you want to handle revisions? Do you want separate files for each released version, or remove earlier versions when a later one becomes available?

Sorry, one more question - do you want "concept" PCB layouts (ie, ideas that were never actually built and tested), or just tried-and-true layouts (either production quality or maybe also prototypes where there was at least one working instance built)?

don