PDA

View Full Version : 24 Channel Relay Interface BOM

dbotelho
12-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to share this with anyone who is interested. I built and used 2 of these controllers for this year's Christmas show and Singing Pumpkins for Halloween. I will be building 1 more for next year's show. These are fairly easy to build and are great if your not savy with a soldering iron. The board is fully capablable of turning the lights on and off at 50ms intervals....yes it is very click-it-y-click with the relays turning on and off but it does work and was a great starter for me to break into this hobby.

The downside is that the computer is only expandable up to 3 parallel ports so 24 outputs max...the upside is that they can later be used for servo and motor control once I figure out the whole SSR thing when the "itch" for expanding the show grabs hold!

The attachment reflects approximate costs.
The relay board was purchased at robotkits.com...cheapest I have found so far on the web!

Happy Lighting!

dirknerkle
12-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Nice job! One thing I really like is that you really DIY-ed it. You took an idea, figured it out, acquired the parts, built it, made it work, had a nice show, wrote a doc and BOM. That should give you a terrific sense of satisfaction!

Way to go!

dbotelho
12-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks...and I owe all my gratitude to this forum and the info that it supplied. I started researching back in June, did the singing pumpkins as sort of a test run to prove everything out, and then started taking Christmas under my belt.

The best thing about all of this are the smiles and positive reactions from the people who are fortunate enough to see these shows

Thank you DYIC for the guidance to share in such a great experience!