PDA

View Full Version : Grinch dimmer issues

Warlock
12-30-2009, 09:39 PM
I have my dimmer hooked up to my dmx dongle which works great.Problem with instructions with the dimmer interface..
Problem being that it states "With the interface being unplugged (What interface and unplugged from what the dmx dongle or the wall ???) install a jumper on jp3.
Now power up the interface for at least 3 seconds (Again power up from the wall or the dmx dongle???).There will be a visual programming confirmation by leds 1 and 2 both lighting up solid...Now with it unplugged(unplugged from what???) remove jumper from jp3...Ok I understand the jumper bit but unplug interface from what ??? Wall or the dmx interface while vixen is running....Seems weird this part would be omitted...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

RichF
12-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Are you referring to the DMX converter. I see a DMX converter but not a Dimmer but either way you would unplug that device from the power. Set the jumpers and plug back in.

Warlock
12-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Refering to the grinch dimmer

RichF
12-30-2009, 10:24 PM
The Grinch Dimmer that is in the WIKI is the REn-c and it is not dmx capable as far as I know.

There is a DMX converter in the WIKI but I do not think it offers dimming.

It this the device your talking about: http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=DMX_to_Grinch/595_convertor

Warlock
12-30-2009, 10:26 PM
It's RPM's grinch dimmer interface along with his dmx dongle..I'm also using his designe 16 channel ssr's.....The grinch dimmer is dimmable to 256 levels without a ren c....

RichF
12-30-2009, 10:27 PM
It must not be on that is documented here.

RichF
12-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Found it warlock and you need to remove power from the converter.

Warlock
12-30-2009, 11:03 PM
So I remove power (take it off the usb) from the dmx converter ???Is that what you mean
Thanks again for the help as I finally try and get this gear going

Matt_Edwards
12-31-2009, 01:34 AM
Just to be clear

I have my dimmer hooked up to my dmx dongle which works great.Problem with instructions with the dimmer interface..
Problem being that it states "With the interface being unplugged (What interface and unplugged from what the dmx dongle or the wall ???) install a jumper on jp3.

Leave the USB dongle connected. just disconnect the mains power to the Grinch Dimmer.

Now power up the interface for at least 3 seconds (Again power up from the wall or the dmx dongle???).

The USB Dongle doesn't provide power to the Grinch Dimmer. the Grinch Dimmer instructions assume your DMX is always on and connected.
Just Turn the power on the Grinch Dimmer back on.

There will be a visual programming confirmation by leds 1 and 2 both lighting up solid...Now with it unplugged(unplugged from what???) remove jumper from jp3...Ok I understand the jumper bit but unplug interface from what ???

Just disconnect the mains power to the Grinch Dimmer again. and remove JP3

Wall or the dmx interface while vixen is running....Seems weird this part would be omitted...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I then remove the DMX RJ45 and check the DMX Error LED. Happy Dimming.

Warlock
01-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks Matt...Now if the red led stays on while my demo program (demo vixen program sequence) is running and no green light is on is that alright ???Or is there an issue ??

Matt_Edwards
01-01-2010, 06:54 PM
No, Red ON is a good sign
No green is not. it means is it waiting for a valid DMX stream It blinks whenever it receives level change for the valid range of DMX addresses.

See below for full description of LED definitions.

Did you get it to program a new Start address?
If you want to set it to address 1, remove the DMX signal and replace JP3. Power up the Grinch Dimmer and wait until both LEDs come ON. Turn OFF the power to the Grinch Dimmer and remove JP3. Reapply power and the DMX signal. Then send a sequence that uses the first 64 channels.

Cheers
Matt

LED DEFINITIONS:
RED (LED1):

SOLID ON = Unit powered on and waiting for DMX signal for this unit address.
FAST BLINKING = No Zero cross signal detected (not using AC power supply).
1 BLINK = Error, No DMX signal present.
2 BLINKS = Error, DMX signal bad or polarity reversed.

GREEN (LED2):

OFF = No DMX data recieved for this units address.
BLINKING = Valid DMX data for this unit address recieved.

BOTH ON SOLID = DMX Start address configuration mode, address set completed.

Warlock
01-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Yes I got it fully addressed Matt..
Thank-you again and Happy New Year